prologo

prologo

Concerning Sugar

"Soft drinks are no longer an occasional treat. They've become a daily habit for a growing number of people, especially kids, teens and young adults. You may be surprised to learn that, on average, every American consumes 56 gallons of soda pop a year." - From The Minnesota Dental Association (Dr. Wagnild's Alma Mater!), for you, your teens, and your kids. Here's some interesting topics from their site:

Sip All Day, Get Decay © 2003 Minnesota Dental. View article here.

Yuck! Ick! Gross! Your Teeth When You Sip All Day... View website here.

The Power of Sour on Your Teeth ® Sour candies have become an increasingly popular treat, especially among children, teens and young adults. However, what might appear to be a harmless treat can have a devastating effect on teeth. The high acidity of these fruity/sour candies can weaken and wear away tooth enamel, which is essential to healthy teeth. In some cases, the damage can be very severe and lead to permanent tooth loss.

  • In the past 20 years, candies marketed to children have increasingly been of a "fruity" or "sour" variety.
  • Sour candies are very acidic, with a low pH level (Acid Levels in Sour Candies).
  • Each acid attack lasts about 20 minutes. Click here for more.

Sour Candy Close to Battery Acid! (Choose Chocolate!) View article and video here.

The Minnesota Dental Association is warning about the dangers of sour candies in the mouth. Some of the treats have an acidic level close to battery acid.

The fruit flavored, colorful candies like Skittles, Starburst, SweetTarts, Nerds and more all have an acidic level of four or lower. The smaller the number, the more acid it has. For example, a liquid spray candy called Sour Blast has an acidic level of 1.5. Battery acid has an acidic level of one. The acid erodes away the tooth enamel and causes sensitivity and cavities. Kids usually keep these types of candies in their mouth a long time, and the acid attack last another 20 minutes after that.

"Maybe trade in your sour candy for a chocolate bar that would be a lot safer for your teeth than the sour candy," Fong said. Fong also suggests not brushing teeth right after eating sour candies, as it increases the acid effect in your mouth. Eat cheese or drink milk -- something neutralizing -- and then brush one hour later.

The Minnesota Dental Association has more information on their website about the dangers of sour candies at www.mndental.org.

Location

Patient Care Hours

Monday:

7:50 am-4:30 pm

Tuesday:

7:50 am-4:30 pm

Wednesday:

7:50 am-4:30 pm

Thursday:

7:50 am-4:30 pm

Friday:

Doctor's Laboratory and Administration Time

Saturday:

Closed

Sunday:

Closed